Yesterday we celebrated 3 Kings Day. Three Kings is actually on Jan. 6th but G & E are both trying for perfect attendance this year and it's just been so overly chaotic at our house of late that we put if off for the weekend... first time ever. Ben had a wonderful 3 Kings and got a tricycle that he just thinks is the coolest thing EVER. He loves it... hasn't gotten the whole pedaling thing down yet but he gets the idea and I'm sure he'll get the hang of it before we know it. He was just a happy fella yesterday over all though. He "helped" Gregory and Patch play a new video game. He road his little trike... pushing his little sister off of it frequently. He played with blocks. All in all, a truly great day in the life of a three year-old boy. It was a good day. Exhausting for the old folks, but a really good day.
Then today I'd just had enough. Patch has been looking absolutely RIDICULOUS for weeks now and getting worse with each passing day. He has hair as thick as a tree truck and as course as tree bark and so when it gets overly long he looks like he has a big nasty mop on top of his head. Ben's hair was also just WAY too long, but Ben's hair is baby fine and he doesn't have a mountain of it so when his hair gets long really it just looks a big disheveled but not horrible. Still, I'd had ENOUGH and couldn't take it another day. So I made Ed cut their hair... because I've been saying for months to take them to the barber and Ed keeps saying "No, I'll cut it" so today I told him to put his money where his mouth is. I also told him that if he did a hack job of it I would be VERY displeased.... mwaaahaaaahaaaa (practicing my evil laughter). Here's a pic of Ben from our celebration yesterday (wearing all clothes that our friends sent for Ben!) so you can see Ben's long hair. Not too bad really IMO. I mean longish but not horrible. The part I dislike most really when his hair gets long is how it covers his ears, everything else I'm really okay with! LOL!So Ed undertook the task of haircuts. His brilliant plan included putting our kitchen chair with booster seat in the family room right in front of the TV to "distract" the boys while he cut their hair. I just smiled and nodded and told him it was up to him what he wanted to do. Patch was pretty good really. No complaints to speak of and he sat ALMOST still.... well, I say almost... let's just say as still as you can expect Patch to sit. Then came Ben's turn. Before Ed even got out the scissors or the buzzer Ben was beside himself crying and hysterical. Big juicy tears fell from his eyes and down his round little cheeks... causing the freshly cut hair to cling to his face and get in his mouth. I tried talking to him, I tried holding his hand, I tried calming him, I tried bribes and promises of treats AFTER the haircut was done. Nothing worked, he was just miserable our poor little Boo.
Finally it was done and bath... with BUBBLES was promised and that seemed to make everything better. Well, okay fine that AND a big huge lollipop. All was right in the world again and he was happy and clean and looking spiffy. I was completely taken aback by what a big boy he looks like now though. Where did my baby go? Who is this big boy? Made me a little emotional to see him looking so big. Gosh, he's so beautiful though. He has that smile of his that lights up my whole world.
So here's our boy, well coiffed and ready to roll. Not a baby anymore for sure.


No comments:
Post a Comment