Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all...

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Eye Doctor Again

So we saw the eye Dr. again. Just like always, every 3 months bang on the dot. Good news is that Ben was really cooperative and he's not really dreadfully sick other than a swollen gland and so he had really good movement in his lid. The Dr. was able to measure 9mm of movement as compared to only 6mm last time! That alone is reason to celebrate. He tells us that with 9mm of movement they can do the levator surgery instead of the sling surgery which is also really excellent news. All around a great appointment and I was so pleased to see Ben so cooperative and doing so well. He's such a good boy.

The Dr. said we're still in our "holding pattern" for the time being and no surgery on the horizon. That's great. I did get the impression that he's kind of thinking of doing the surgery next summer though. He wants to do it before Ben starts school, however the fact is that Ben is already in school. I personally feel that if we can hold off on it we should. The larger the levator muscle gets the better success they can have on the surgery for the absolute best result. I understand that kids are cruel and will tease, but Ben is already in school and he's NOT like the other kids. It's a hard fact for some to face but his father and I understand that he won't ever be like the other kids and that's okay. Yes, of course if we can save him from ridicule and pain we will but I honestly don't think that sort of thing really starts until about 3rd grade or so (from my experience thus far with teasing and bullies and picking on the "different" kid). I don't know. I have mixed feelings I suppose. It's going to be painful for him and not an easy recovery... I kind of think that giving him more time that he will better understand what's going to happen would be a really good idea too. I just don't want to put him through more pain of surgery before we have to I guess.

Well, in the end we'll do as we always do and make the best decision we can with Ben's best interests in our hearts. It'll all be fine.

No comments: